HISTORY IN THE MAKING
Helderberg Village was originally the brainchild of a visionary entrepreneur, who purchased the wine farm Shemara on the outskirts of Somerset West with the intention of developing a truly unique and exclusive retirement estate.
Bordering the Stellenbosch winelands, this site encompasses it all: stunning views of the Helderberg Mountain, Table Mountain, the Stellenbosch and Constantia mountain ranges, vineyards, and False Bay. This was to become the magical setting for Helderberg Village.
The development and sales of homes commenced in 1987, with the first Villagers moving into their completed cottages in December of that year. The growth of Helderberg Village was phenomenal, and by late 1989 some 284 of the 294 homes developed in the first three phases (Shemara, Talani and Hamilton) had been built and sold. Work then began on Malray, the fourth phase of the Village.
The need for more homes was then identified, which necessitated the acquisition of additional land, but not before the 34-bed Healthcare centre and central Clubhouse were completed.
Today, Helderberg Village is fully complete – comprising approximately 84ha of land upon which the following has been built:
- Approximately 720 homes comprising one, two and three bedroom cottages
- 37 One and two bedroom apartments
- 18 Assisted living bed-sitter apartments annexed to the Healthcare centre
- 72-Bed Healthcare centre. The Healthcare centre has been extended on three occasions by the Association using its own funds
- A magnificent all-purpose Clubhouse recently extended and upgraded by the Association using its own funds
- Numerous ancillary community facilities
- Administration, Housekeeping, Common Property & Infrastructure Offices
- 4 Swimming pools, one of which is heated
- Sporting facilities comprising a 9-hole golf course with alternate tees, two bowling greens, a croquet court, two tennis courts and a jeu de boules court
- Arts and Crafts Studio
- Hairdressing Salon
- Woodwork Studio
- Pottery Studio